Friday, June 3, 2011

what does it mean?

Just thought I would take a moment to explain the title of this blog.

Yes, it does describe me quite well, as it is rare that I am quiet. It is a quote from, what else?--a musical.

I saw Sutton Foster in concert in Findlay, Ohio in January 2010. She sang a medley of songs from musicals she starred in, Thoroughly Modern Millie and Shrek were the musicals I recognized but I had to look up which show contained the lyrics:

"Here I go and there's no turning back
My great adventure has begun!
I may be small, but I've got giant plans to shine as brightly as the sun...
I will be fearless surrendering modesty and grace
I will not disappear without a trace.
I'll shout and start a riot, be anything but quiet
Christopher Columbus!
I'll be astonishing, astonishing
At last!"

It is the song "Astonishing" from Little Women, Sutton Foster originated the role of Jo on Broadway in 2005.

This song has been painfully relevant to my life, especially with my tendencies to lead protests, paint my body, write pejorative parodies and go on great adventures. Days in India when I really didn't feel like leaving my room, I had to tell myself "my great adventure has begun." and it was all I could do not to retort to my host sisters when they told me I was too loud: "I'll be anything but quiet" They wanted me to conform to Indian standards of femininity, when I hardly conform to American standards of femininity.

No comments:

Post a Comment