Thursday, June 2, 2011

getting lost in parking garages.

culture shock. therefore I blog.

seriously, let's glance at the culture shock I have experienced in the past 10 months. India, returning to Petoskey, then Gambier, mild shock in Alaska, and now Minneapolis. I am in a new place, on my own, and I have a lot to figure out (people keep saying it's my "new life" in MN...but it's still my life, it's what I signed up for, it's just the place that is new) My internships are with new organizations, but they consist of doing grant research, and reviewing grants at the God's Child Project and facilitating art projects for kids at the Children's Museum...two things of which I possess some previous experience.

This city (these cities--they are twins after all....) is very big. I am not good at estimating how long a transit in a car or walking is going to take because I am used to everything being in a .6 mile radius and easily walkable. I am also used to living in a place where I constantly run into people I know. Petoskey, yes, Gambier, absolutely! Sometimes at school I venture outside specifically for the purpose of running into someone, and I often don't make it past the living room. I am so used to going out recognizing everyone! I probably know about 15 people in the cities, but I still anticipate when I go out I will see someone I know.

I will get used to it eventually, I am sure because I am so excited to be here! I have already been to a Twins game, to the movies with friends to see Pirates 4, been to a farmer's market, walked across the stone arch bridge a gazillion times, joined a kickball league with my housemates, explored uptown, meandered through the Walker sculpture garden, enjoyed a happy hour, got emotional outside of the state capital at the Women's Memorial Suffrage Garden, and yes, got lost in a parking garage.

No comments:

Post a Comment