Friday, June 3, 2011

Liberal Arts

Yes, my education, but more specifically the film currently in production on campus.

I was skeptical when I heard the synopsis of Josh Radnor's new film "Liberal Arts" A thirty-something returning to his alma mater and falling into a relationship with a first-year female student. When I heard that it was semi-autobiographical, I was even more concerned. but when I found this synopsis I gave up all hope: "A 35 year-old (Joshn Radnor), still yearning for the life of a college student, must come to terms with his age and responsibilities. Elizabeth Olsen plays a 19-year-old college student who falls for Radnor’s character over a shared love of music and literature. She wants to make it work with the man but her immaturity makes it impossible for her to see the obvious obstacles."

excuse me?

the 35-year-old doesn't recognize his inappropriate conduct around a barely legal college girl? and if this is supposed to be semi-autobiographical, I think Josh Radnor should be barred from campus. If he thinks that college girls are the immature, ignorant ones he is clearly desperate and taking advantage. If he thinks that women from Kenyon would fall for some dashing alum and not be able to recognize the consequences, he clearly doesn't know Kenyon anymore. This isn't to say that there can't be such relationships, but this movie better not depict Kenyon women as little girls that blindly fall in love with charming older men and depict Josh Radnor as innocent. biddy gonna get mad.

Who is the gender studies consultant on this project? To those of you still on campus, please correct me if I am wrong on any of this plot development, and don't let this film portray our women as clingy, juvenile objects.

No comments:

Post a Comment