Friday, June 10, 2011

commencement

Facebook is saturated with graduation photo albums. There are lots of cute titles "senior1t1s" "conGRADulations" haha...but one was unfortunately titled "the end"

commencement means beginning. I love that. beginning. It's not about finishing, closing the book, tying up loose ends, a decrescendo, it's taking the knowledge, experiences and relationships you gained and using it to propel you into the future. on your mark, get set, commence!

Also, graduation parties. It is a time to celebrate all that you accomplished over the past four years, and eat lots of food. The only thing is, most everybody attending this party knows what you've done, and knows where you're going. And these parties happen at the beginning of the summer, so it isn't even a time to say goodbye, because you will see everyone in the next three months, and even then, be back for Thanksgiving and Christmas break. The funny thing is, I feel like I need another graduation party right now. As I was leaving Petoskey after spring break this year, I really didn't (and still don't) know when I will be back to the tip of the mitten. My mom said, as I was leaving, that this is what a graduation party should feel like. A sending out, a commencement. I could have a gathering right now and it really would be about informing people on what I have done and where I am going. Back in Petoskey, it is up to my family to relay my current endeavors to people--and they do a great job, but I would love to have an opportunity to get together with my Petoskey community and catch up on what we've all been up to.

Graduating shouldn't feel like a closing, or abandoning. It is a marker, a checkpoint that moves you forward. You get to take as much, or as little, of your previous experiences with you, as use that to continue your journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment