Thursday, June 23, 2011

it's all a destination.

Happy until proven otherwise.

This has been a fantastic week---feeling settled in Minneapolis even when it takes me an hour to clean up after Clay Play at the museum, or I am utterly frustrated by the disorganization of my other internship, or I get caught in a rainstorm on the Stone Arch Bridge without a raincoat.

I kicked in a runner for a homerun at our first kickball game, Kristin and I held our own at Keegan's Pub Quiz and after we heard some great bands perform...explorers and ukuleles, what more could you want?

Now I am in Michigan to attend the Youth Philanthropy Conference for the first time as an advisor (the previous 5 being as a participant or committee member) and it may seem silly to talk about how I am in Michigan after saying I feel settled in Minnesota. It was a tiny bit thrilling landing in Lansing this morning, Michigan is my home state, it is where I can be surrounded by familiar and wonderful people I have great relationships with. And that is something I am definitely lacking in Minneapolis (the comfort of knowing when I go out in the morning, I will run into someone I recognize) Today has been filled with reunions, and hugs and catching up about past semesters, adventures and future plans. It is so wonderful to tell people that I am living in Minneapolis, and about my internships and how I want to be a teacher, but I am so excited for senior year and to graduate, and although I do not have it all figured out yet--I know that will be half the fun. Being at conference reminds of of the way I felt here three years ago as a first-time MCFYPer. Being the exuberant, facilitating mentor and committee member is exactly who I wanted to be. Now I am exactly where I want to be as a 21-year-old living in a city on my own and attending this conference as an advisor with committee members to prove and it is so satisfying, fulfilling and motivating.

Every moment has been amazing, I cannot believe these events that were merely highlighted text on my calendar a month ago are now what I am experiencing here and now. There are also many moments that I couldn't even anticipate, and it has only been a month.

DEEP SIGH OF SATISFACTION.

I have had amazing conversations (via text/skype/phone/irl) with so many people and am learning so much (non-profits, development psychology, human trafficking, travel, colleges, futures, feminism, philanthropy) from intelligent and talented people and must say for the bazillionth time I am so happy to be. here. now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment