Friday, June 3, 2011

Big schools are big

Today I went on an epic walk around the U of M(innesota).

I think the big state school campuses I have seen the most of are the Us of Ms. Michigan and Minnesota. Buses, lots of pavement, huge buildings that usually have an identical twin across the quad, stadiums and pizza places. I guess this is the image I always had of big schools, it's just odd actually walking through it. I did feel very anonymous, because, well, I am. I saw groups of people meeting up, and runners waving at friends. Obviously, attending school, living and working here creates a community. There are just so many strangers and sidewalks and little buttons you have to push to be able to cross the street in order to achieve that.

A couple asked if I would take their picture with the skyline in the background and then they asked if I was a student here and I quickly said yes [noactuallymichiganmittenpetoskeyohiokenyonsummerhere] --not worth it. I still said I was an American Studies major (because I had walked by an American Studies building) But then I started thinking that I should pick a different major when claiming to be a U student. Molecular Biology? Global Studies? Fishing and Wildlife? (I am interning with someone who is an actual major) Public Policy? Sustainable Design? maybe I'll just stick with 'mercuh.

This giant city ocean is overwhelming at times for this bitty* village fish, but this is exactly where I want to be this summer. 

*and biddy

No comments:

Post a Comment