Sunday, July 3, 2011

american studies

Things in my life that foretold my interest in American history and likelyhood of declaring an American Studies major:

-My love of Colonial Williamsburg and all historical reenactments
-Having seen many Presidential gravesites
-My interest in the "Mansipation Problagation"
-4th grade Biography on Jane Addams
-Singing the song "Fifty Nifty" over and over and over and over
-Still having all the songs memorized from the "13 Colonies" play in 5th grade
-Loving Musical Theater [a very american genre, with beauties such as Oklahoma, Ragtime, 42nd Street and Chicago]
-I was able to hum the "Ashokan Farewell" at age 6.

ON THE CONTRARY. Reasons why it is surprising that I became an American Studies major:

-2nd grade project on Medieval Times with Gina
-Hating the "Dear America" series
-Never reading Little House on the Prairie (I'm just as shocked as you are)
-My love of Canada
-Never having the Star Spangled Banner memorized on the clarinet for marching band pre-game #lackofpatriotism
-Amount of time I spent playing with the "Knights and Castles" PlayMobil (clearly, it is now a vintage set, that is not how much it cost in 1998) gahhhhh. I miss that set. Maybe it needs to come to Bucket Haus. It will really help with my comps.

But, it is obvious that I was made to be an AMST kid, my favorite song is Firework, and tomorrow is the the Fourth of July.

No comments:

Post a Comment