Thursday, June 14, 2012

Scattered thoughts.

Sorry it has taken me a week to collect my thoughts about Ghana. I want to share the little snippets I think you will enjoy:

The typical greeting is: "Hello, You're welcome" and the response is "Yoo" or "Yoooooooo" and then they giggle because we know how to respond.

The city we are in (Ho) is primarily Christian, so the names of shops are:
God is Good Hair Salon
Emmanuel Auto Parts
Thy God mini Mart
End Times Hair Salon

We are eating at our hotel, so I don't know if we are getting the full authentic experience of Ghanain food. But we are eating rice, chicken, and tilapia. The interesting dishes are spinach stew and steamed bread. The most delicious foods I have had so far are mashed yams, sweet bread and pineapple. all fruit for that matter.

The patterns of clothes are beautiful, and today was market day, so we pushed through the crowded streets full of dizzying colors and smells. Carts overflowed with fruit and fish.

Adventures thus far:

We visited a village to de-worm their goats and I handled some goats to squirt the medicine into their mouths. I talked to the goats to try to settle them down. I would have passed out stickers for all my good patients.

African dance and drum classes are absolutely amazing. My body pours with sweat and my hands throb with pain, but it is so satisfying. Last night, the Kekeli Kids performed for us and I was on the edge of my seat the whole time until Victor pulled me up and made me dance.

Victor is our Ewe language teacher. He is stubborn and really arrogant, and moves really fast in class, but it is great! (He is not a sweet and gentle Harshji, but no one could replace Harshji)

Today we went to a primary school and Sunshine (that is her nickname) Emily and I read books to the 4th and 5th graders and did a project with them where we cut out words from newspapers and made sentences and poems. Some of the best sentences:
"Golden Immortality"
"Ghanains have the power"
and
"Beware of the Elephants"

That's all for now! All my love!

Ellen

No comments:

Post a Comment