Tuesday, July 19, 2011

whether the weather

It is to hot to function. My apartment has no air conditioning. It is so hot I cannot think. Was it this hot in India? I guess the adrenaline of culture shock and the determination to confront the culture full force allowed us to brave the heat, humidity and dust in long sleeves and leggings. Now I am in bitty shorts and a t-shirt at the Dunn Bros. Also drinking coffee. Whoops. Looks like I'm going to have to go frolicking through the severe thunderstorms this evening to burn off all the caffeine. Or right now. It's raining! HOORAY! Let the frolic commence!

This week felt like a month.

I was actually productive at my Minnetonka internship--I suppose my official title for that internship is "Marketing and Product Assistant" bahahahaaa. I am taking inventory of all their Guatemalan crafts, writing sales tags, and taking pictures for the website. And when I say taking pictures, I mean photoshoot. literally. I took all the jewelry, scarves, bags and coffee outside and arranged it all next to the landscaping...the rock paths, flowers and the waterfall outside the office. I got a little carried away. #typical

I spent 21 hours in the children's museum...not consecutively, but in total over the weekend. It was a bit much, and I have to psyche myself up for that much interaction with little kids...but of course it was amazing! I worked the the Curiosity Center on Saturday evening, and the project was a "Box City" and we had lots of appliance boxes turned upright and cut out doors and windows and all week the kids painted, constructed, embellished and played pretend in the boxes. That evening was slow, and there was just a mom and her two kids in the CC. The mom was speaking to her kids in Spanish, but talking to me in English, which was very fun because I could understand the Spanish because Spanish commentary for little kids doing art is just at my level. The little girl, Anna, was making a bird with popsicle sticks and TONS OF FEATHERS #bittybiddy and then she wanted to play in the boxes. One became a castle and she was the princess, and I joined her in parading around the castle...then another box became the dog and kitty house so we began having conversations with animal noises "woof"..."meow"..."chirp"...and then we went back to being princesses when her older brother came up and said, "I declare war on your castle!" and Anna looked up at me, back at him, and said, "Meow!" War avoided. Then her mom told me that she is usually really shy and won't talk to strangers, and she has never seen her this animated with a new person :) I also had my mid-internship evaluation. they think I lack enthusiasm and energy, and I really need more confidence when interacting with children ;)

SUNDAY. I went to a Buffalo Wild Wings. Ate wings. and watched the Women's World Cup Final. TFM. Yes, we lost, but I am still very proud of those biddies. THEN I saw HP Part 2 (after finally watching Part 1 on Friday) and wept. NF.

We had a kickball game yesterday and I was pitcher...yeah. Not even gonna tell you that outcome.

I MOVE INTO BUCKET HAUS IN ONE MONTH. uh-oh. things are gettin feelingsy. I was talking to Solly (you know, the brilliant, beautiful biddy) about how when I am at Kenyon I miss Petoskey, and when I was in India I missed Kenyon and Petoskey, and now in Minneapolis I miss Kenyon, Petoskey and India, and then when I get back to Kenyon I am going to miss Petoskey, India and Minneapolis (and her, and everyone else going abroad, but I am so proud of you all because a new and different experience filled with manic bouts of culture shock is exactly what you need in your life right now. and I'm not even kidding. enjoy the ride.)

so I got to talk to Molly, Megan, and Marguerite (further confirming my conundrum of missing too many people from too many places and those are just the the Ms [not including Monica, Matt, Manak Ramji]) and I am reminded how of the awesomeness of the people in my life and how much I admire you all. and when I say you all, I mean every single person A-Z. woa. stop now. I'm in a public place. #feelings

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee now I am too caffeinated. and I get to go to a really awesome conference tomorrow, I GET TO SEE MY PARENTS ON THURSDAY and in 10 days the Blanchard Sisters are going to take on Europe.

No comments:

Post a Comment